The 9th character of the braille script, standardized internationally as the digit 9 and the letter i
Invented by Louis Braille, braille cells were arranged in numerical order and assigned to letters of the French alphabet. Most braille alphabets follow this assignment for the 26 letters of the basic Latin alphabet, or for the equivalents of those letters in a non-Latin script.
The first ten braille letters are ⠁⠃⠉⠙⠑⠋⠛⠓⠊⠚, usually assigned to the Latin letters a–j. The next ten repeat that pattern with the addition of a dot at the lower left, the third ten with two dots on the bottom, and the fourth with a dot on the bottom right. The fifth decade is like the first, but shifted downward. Many languages which use braille letters beyond the basic 26 for simple letters in their script follow an approximation of the English values for the additional letters.
Lua грешка in Модул:headword at line 442: In full_headword(), `data.heads` must be an array but is a string.
- (Braille) i
- (Braille, often preceded by capital sign ⠠) Upper-case letter I
- (Greek Braille) ι (i)
- (Yugoslav Braille) i / и
- (Russian Braille) и (i)
- (Hebrew Braille) יִ|i
- (Arabic, Persian Braille) ي (y), ی
- (Tibetan Braille) ི (-i)
- (Chinese Braille) The rime yi/-i
- (Chinese Two-Cell Braille) The onset b- or the rimes -è or -ò
- (Taiwan Braille) The onset sh
- (Cantonese Braille) The rime i
- (Thai Braille) The vowel โ◌ o (the same as in Japanese Braille)
- (Korean Braille) Initial ㄷ
- (Chinese Braille) Although written the same in pinyin, this is not the rime of ci, chi, ri, si, shi, zi, zhi, which is omitted in Chinese braille. This is clearer in zhuyin, which also omits this rime, and in Wade-Giles, which uses a different transcription than i.
⠊ (romaji o)
- The hiragana syllable Lua грешка in Модул:languages at line 1018: attempt to index a nil value. or the katakana syllable Lua грешка in Модул:languages at line 1018: attempt to index a nil value. in Japanese braille.
|... ...||⚅ и ⠊||... ...|
|⚂ ј ⠚||⚄ а ⠁...||⚃ р ⠗|
|... ...||... б ⚀ ⠃||... ...|