Borrowed from Антички Грчки παράφερνα (parápherna, “goods which a wife brings over and above her dowry”), a compound of παρά (pará, “beside”) + φερνή (phernḗ, “dowry”). In the propertied classes, a dowry was placed under the control of the husband, while the paraphernalia which she brought with her remained the wife’s property.
- (Received Pronunciation) МФА(кључ): /ˌpæɹəfəˈneɪli.ə/
- (General American) МФА(кључ): /ˌpɛɹəfɚˈneɪli.ə/, /ˌpɛɹəfəˈneɪli.ə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Риме: -eɪliə
- Hyphenation: par‧a‧pher‧na‧lia
paraphernalia pl (plural only)
- Miscellaneous items, especially the set of equipment required for a particular activity.
- Синоним: stuff
- He has an impressive collection of bicycling paraphernalia, but he doesn't ride very often anymore.
- 2021 децембар 29, Stephen Roberts, “Stories and Facts behind railway plaques: Reading (1840)”, in RAIL, number 947, strana 56:
- People such as William James and the Stephensons (with whom he collaborated) may have been the movers and shakers of the early railways, but there was other, less exalted bods who constructed all the paraphernalia - including stations.
- (archaic, породица закон) Things a married woman owns, such as clothing and jewellery, apart from her dowry.
- Синоним: parapherna
- 1901, Unknown, “The House with the Belvedere”, in John Payne, transl., The Book of the Thousand Nights and One Night, volume 5:
- So she told her what her husband had said and sat with her awhile; but, presently, up came porters, who brought all her clothes and paraphernalia and what not else belonged to her of goods and vessels from her husband’s house and deposited them in that of her mother.
- When Forrest went through the French windows from his sleeping-porch,
he crossed, first, a comfortable dressing room, window-divaned, many-lockered, with a generous fireplace, out of which opened a bathroom; and, second, a long office room, wherein was all the paraphernalia of business--desks, dictaphones, filing cabinets, book cases, magazine files, and drawer-pigeonholes that tiered to the low, beamed ceiling.
- Када је Форрест пролазио кроз прозоре из Француске из свог спавања,
прешао је, прво, удобну гардеробу, раздвојену прозоре, много закључане, са великодушним камином, од којих је отворио купатило; и, друго, дуга канцеларијска просторија, што су сви пословни елементи - столови, диктафони, кутије за књижење, кутије за књиге, часописе и гиганте у фиокама које су се спуштале на низак таван.